This Page

has been moved to new address

Why I'm NOT an Extreme "Couponer"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Why I'm NOT an Extreme "Couponer"

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why I'm NOT an Extreme "Couponer"



I confess: I am not an extreme “couponer.”
I had aspirations of trying my hand at couponing sometime this year, but I haven’t made it too far.
It seems extreme couponing is the talk of the town these days. There’s TLC’s “Extreme Couponing,” and I even wrote a story about a former Mooresville resident has been featured on that show.
Some women literally spend hours on end scouring the newspapers and Internet for coupons. I applaud these women. It’s a creative way to help stretch a family’s budget in tough economic times. They see couponing as their full or part-time jobs.
But what works for one person doesn’t work for everybody. Each mom has to find ways to save money that works for her family – whether it’s clipping coupons, cutting hair or in my case, writing stories.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I love saving money. My college roommates jokingly said “Laura Lynn” was my friend because it was the name of a local grocery store’s generic brand – and it was all I bought at the time.
But right now, my family’s money-saving strategy has more to do with cutting cable than clipping coupons.
The danger with couponing is that it can become an addiction, and people will buy stuff just because they have a coupon – not because they really need it. I don’t want to take couponing that far.
As I’ve dipped my feet into motherhood the past few years, a lot of my priorities have changed. Nutrition is one of them.
I have no doubts you can save massive amounts of money by couponing. But is it worth it if you do it at the expense of the health of your family?
Let me explain. When I first moved back to Mooresville, I was thrilled to find out that a couple of grocery stores regularly double and triple coupons. When local friends updated their
Facebook statuses with sentences like, “I just spent $2 on $200 worth of groceries at Harris Teeter,” I was more than ready to jump on the bandwagon.
I started collecting coupons and even planned my store trips by scouring prices on websites and tailoring my list to match my coupon collection.
And it worked. On paper it looked like I “saved” money, but I really just came home with a bunch of processed foods that sat in my pantry for months.
You see, it’s easy to find a plethora of coupons for pre-packaged, prepared and processed foods that contain lots of additives like high fructose corn syrup, red40 and MSG.
But coupons for whole, healthy foods – like produce and meat – are hard to find.
If I find coupons for foods my family eats, I use them. But I’ve decided not to coupon on something we normally don’t use just to get things cheaply or for free.
I recently stumbled upon SavingNaturally, a blog dedicated solely to coupons for healthier items, like yogurt or organic cereal. I receive their daily emails, which saves me time from having to scour individual sites for deals.
I also opt to shop at discount stores like Aldi, Big Lots and Ollie’s as a way to save on my grocery budget.
Household items are different altogether. Since I’ve decided that coupons for food items aren’t my cup of tea, I’ve made it a goal to at least try using more coupons for things like toothpaste and toilet paper.
My husband bought me a coupon organizer for Christmas. It’s cute, but it’s not chock full of coupons. Is it possible for me to use coupons on healthy foods and household items without taking it to the extreme?
I welcome your suggestions.
*This column first appeared in the May 12, 2011 edition of the Mooresville Weekly.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Dollwood Farms said...

I love coupons, but I only use them if I normally buy that product. I don't go crazy but I mostly buy on sale. Just found your blog. I love Mooresville. We have extended family up there!

 
At May 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger The Humbled Homemaker said...

Glad to have you part of the Humbled Homemaker community! :) I'll have a post later today about how to save on groceries w/ minimal coupon use.

 
At December 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Stacy Makes Cents said...

Great post Erin. :-) I used to be a BIGTIME couponer.....but now I find that I only want coupons for tp. :-) If you can make it at home yourself and you KNOW what's in it - then why should you buy the artificial stuff?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home