This Page

has been moved to new address

The First Year Breastfeeding Mini Series: The Breast Crawl

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: The First Year Breastfeeding Mini Series: The Breast Crawl

Monday, July 11, 2011

The First Year Breastfeeding Mini Series: The Breast Crawl


Welcome to this week's edition of The First Year: Breastfeeding Mini Series!  

If you’re pregnant or hope to breastfeed future children, this post is for you. Today, I’d like to share with you a breastfeeding secret.  

This one tip can help facilitate a successful nursing experience from the time your baby is born.

What is this secret?

Let your baby do the breast crawl.

The what?

I had never heard of the breast crawl with my first daughter. And I didn’t blink an eye when the nurses whisked her away to be weighed and measured and pricked and prodded as soon as I delivered her. (No wonder it took my milk 5 days to arrive!)

But, thankfully, I had a wonderful doula that prepared me for the breast crawl during my most recent pregnancy.

All the breast crawl entails is requesting that your baby (barring no health emergencies) be permitted to lie on your chest as soon as possible after delivery.

When I birthed my second baby last October, my midwife actually let me pull her out.

That’s right.

Once Baby Girl’s head and torso were visible, my midwife said: “Give me your hands.I want YOU to finish delivering YOUR baby.”

And that’s what I did. I pulled my sweet girl from inside of me right up onto my chest.

“Try the breast crawl!” my doula exclaimed.

So instead of nudging her to take the breast, I let her find it herself, latch on and start nursing.

Yes, without medications and given the environment to do so, it can be that instinctive.

And it was wonderful.

Want to try the breast crawl? Tell your doctor and/or doula and note it on your birth plan.


Here’s a little video that shows a newborn doing the breast crawl (this is not me):

Had you ever heard of the breast crawl? Did you do it with your children? Why or why not?

If you liked this post, you may also like my post on lactation cookies, Why? Breastfeed & The Best Advice Ever, Before Baby Arrives and The First Two Weeks. Check out the series introduction here

Don't forget to enter the 31 Days to Clean e-book giveaway now through Friday, July 15! Fill out THIS FORM to enter the giveaway!

Do you enjoy reading The Humbled Homemaker?  Subscribe to receive posts:



Photobucket



Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At July 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Anonymous Lexie said...

This is very neat. I didn't do this with either of my births. The second one would have been possible, but she was not breathing very well when she came out. The chord was wrapped around her neck and she was blue and purple and lifeless, so they took her right over to help her out. BUT, I did nurse her RIGHT after that. No breast crawl though. :(

 
At August 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty awesome. I delivered my triplets (whom I adopted as embryos) at 34.1 weeks. I couldn't even attempt to nurse until 24-36hrs old in the NICU. I insisted on holding them skin to skin for an extended amount of time. Expressing a little colostrum, and giving them time - they all sorta found their way. It was amazingly wonderful!

 
At September 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Ginny said...

What an amazing and beautiful video! I wish I had known about that when my baby was born, just over 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't have been able to do that with my first 2, since they were both c-sections, but I was able to do a VBA2C this time and wish I had this info just a little earlier. Thanks for sharing!

 
At September 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger The Humbled Homemaker said...

Congrats on the new baby, Ginny!!Wow--a VBA2C!! That is amazing! Thank you for visiting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home