This Page

has been moved to new address

Parenting on a Penny: Taking a "Stuff" Inventory

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Parenting on a Penny: Taking a "Stuff" Inventory

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Parenting on a Penny: Taking a "Stuff" Inventory

Image by 13dede
 Welcome to this month's edition of Parenting on a Penny. Each month we take a look at a different way we homemakers (whether parents or not) can spend less money!

Cooler weather is just around the corner, and that means it's time to pull out the fall/winter clothes! 

Image by linder6580


My husband and I have 3 main ways of providing clothes for our girls:


  • through gifts/hand-me-downs from family/friends
  • by shopping the end-of-season clearance racks (mostly at Kohls and Target), and
  • seasonal consignment sales

Image by Thorsie

I am not a shopper, but I love getting a good deal when I do shop.


But, sometimes, I later realize I over-buy.

It doesn't matter how cheap something is: If you shell out money for it and you don't need it, you are NOT saving money. 

Honestly? This year I've been overwhelmed with laundry. And I've realized: My girls have far, far too many clothes. 

Image by djeyewater

So, a few weeks ago, I decided that at the beginning of every season (and before the consignment sales!), I will do an inventory of my kids' stuff--especially their clothes, but also their toys. 

The other day, I pulled out all the clothes we already have for the girls for the fall. 


I've decided not to buy Baby Girl anything unless it happens to be an extremely good deal on matching outfits for her and her sister. 

My two girls and my niece--all matching!

When she is older, I may try to buy her some new outfits, but, really, she has more than enough clothes from her big sister.


I'm going shopping with a very specific list of things we actually need  for Little Girl (who is 3). At this point, it looks like we will need some pairs of shoes and socks, a couple pairs of pajamas and maybe a few play clothes.


I'm hoping having an inventory of what I already have will help me make wiser decisions on what else to purchase. 




A few days ago, Stephanie at Keeper of the Home wrote about the concept of really limiting her childrens' wardrobes. She laid out a plan for how many outfits each child would have, and she's currently doing a test run. She packed away outfits she didn't think her children would need.


I think it's a great idea, and, armed with my inventory list of what I already have--and the few things we still need--I hope to get my daughters' "stuff" in better order.


I'm also hoping that having less clothes will help me better manage the laundry pile. I really, really struggle with keeping up with the laundry (I know, I know--I only have 2 kids and 1 husband...but still!). 


My thoughts are: If I have less to manage, I will be forced to keep on top of the laundry, and clothes will be less likely to pile up. At least that's my theory. 




My husband has mentioned lately: You are always on top of the diaper laundry, but our clothes pile up.

Ouch! But he's right. And I think it's because I truly need the diapers to be clean every day. I cannot afford for them to not be clean! 

And I want to start looking at clothes the same way.


Do you ever do a "stuff" inventory at your house? Do you try to limit the amount of clothes and toys your family owns? Why or why not?

Have you entered the My Buttered Life e-book contest yet? Just leave me a comment on the post to be entered. This amazing book includes FIVE do-it-yourself skincare recipes! 

Do you enjoy reading The Humbled Homemaker?  Subscribe to receive posts:

I'm linking up with: Simple Lives Thursdays
Life as Mom
Homemaker by Choice
 
 













Labels: ,