This Page

has been moved to new address

Musing Mondays: Swimming Lessons, Self-Realization & God's Sovereignty

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Musing Mondays: Swimming Lessons, Self-Realization & God's Sovereignty

Monday, August 15, 2011

Musing Mondays: Swimming Lessons, Self-Realization & God's Sovereignty



My 3-year-old daughter just finished two weeks of swimming lessons.

I think I may have learned more than she did.

No, I didn’t get in the pool (although I wanted to), but the summer smells of chlorine mixed with sunscreen, the sounds of kids splashing water, the warmth of the sun and the sheer delight of watching my baby girl learn how to swim gave me excitement to return each day.

And I always knew as I watched the group of 20 3-to -5 year olds learn how to paddle their arms and kick their legs and blow bubbles in the water, I’d learn a little more about myself as a parent. 


On day one I realized: I’m a helicopter mom.

My daughter has been in several church nursery-like settings, but she hasn’t been to preschool. When it comes to pools, I found myself nervous about just waving goodbye and letting the teachers take over.

On day one, I stood right beside her on pool’s edge for the first few minutes. 

Oh, I had the excuse of taking lots of pictures and videos. And I was cheering her on.

Normally outgoing, she was extra clingy that day. She cried for me to take her out of the pool.


Then it suddenly hit me: I was the only parent cheering. In fact, I was the only parent standing—at least close enough to the pool that my feet even got a tad bit wet.

I slowly turned my head and noticed all the other parents sitting far back on the sidelines—on beach towels, in lounge chairs, on benches. Some were reading; some were texting on their phones; some were talking to each other.

What they weren’t doing was distracting their little ones from the teachers’ directions.

I put my head down slightly and made my way to the group of other parents.

And my little girl did MUCH better.


I still took pictures. I still videotaped, and I still silently cheered her on—but I did it from a distance.

I couldn’t believe how independent she became (and actually followed the teachers’ directions) once I left her alone.

It made me proud.

And I was filled with the nostalgia of watching my baby girl learn how to swim in the same pool I did.

You see, I never, ever thought I’d witness that—because I never, ever imagined that at age 30 I’d find myself living back in my hometown.

Oh, I spent my time away—10 years in fact. I thought I’d never return.

I didn’t want to. But God’s plans prevail.


I’ve been back two years now, and it’s afforded me the opportunity to watch my girls pick strawberries at a local farm, participate in the summer reading program at the library, play at some of the older town parks and take swimming lessons at the community pool—just like I did.

And I’m thankful. I can see God’s sovereignty in even the little things like swimming lessons…and the self-realization that comes when you become a mom. 

Where do you see God's sovereignty in your life--and in the life of your family? Has He surprised you with His plans?

CONGRATULATIONS to the winner of the Yummy Mummy Giveaway--Lexie M.! Stay tuned for another lactation cookie giveaway in a few weeks!

Do you enjoy reading The Humbled Homemaker?  Subscribe to receive posts:
*This post first appeared in the Mooresville Weekly.
I'm linking up with:  




















Growing Home





Labels: , , ,