This Page

has been moved to new address

Potty Training Readiness Signs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Potty Training Readiness Signs

Friday, May 11, 2012

Potty Training Readiness Signs

Today we continue our potty training mini series as part of our ongoing "The First Years" series that is covering the most precious little years!
Image by abbybatchelder
After Alina Joy's intriguing and inspiring post on infant potty training last week, you may be thinking: "Wow, that's wonderful and I hope I try that method with future babies, but my child is already past the infant years...and still not potty trained."


I understand! In a few weeks, I'll be sharing about my very own potty training "failure." 


Most experts agree that if you don't potty train (or take away the bottle or pacifier or sleep train, etc.) by a certain age, it will be more challenging. And if, like me, you missed the window of time where you child was more apt to cooperate with early training, it's important to recognize certain signs of readiness before diving in headfirst (or should it be booty-first--on the potty?). ;) 


Image by Michael Bentley
Again, I want to emphasize that I've been humbleD in this area. I am NO expert, but from everything I've read, your child should show most of the following signs before you attempt any method of potty training (past the infant years):


1. Physical Readiness:
  • Dry diapers for longer periods--especially through nap and night
  • Predictable pattern of pooping--and not pooping through the night 
  • Less frequent urination (as if they are "holding" it to go all at once)
  • Awareness of needing to go (holding selves, hiding while going, grunting, etc. while going)
Image by Manish Bansal
2. Motor Skills Readiness:
  • ability to undress self
  • ability to squat down on potty
  • ability to lift and shut toilet seat and flush
3. Verbal Readiness:
  • understands potty training vocabulary
  • can verbalize to you when he/she needs to go
4. Emotional Readiness: has the desire to go potty. 


Image by The Wu's Photo Land
Now, although your child doesn't necessary have to exhibit all signs of readiness, I think it's important that he/she has at least mastered most of them.


Some children may master these skills by 18 months...but other may not until closer to 4!  

As I will write about in an an upcoming post, my daughter had mastered almost all of the signs except  the desire AND waking up dry in the morning by the time she was 2. In fact, my daughter JUST started waking up dry in the morning for the first time ever...and she will be 4 in a month!


Image by jencu

It's also important to note that, although your child may be showing many readiness skills, it's important to look at the entire picture of your family's life season before training. Is a new baby coming? Is your family moving? Is daddy (or mommy) starting a new job and will be gone from home more than normal?

All of these things can make a big impact on the overall success of your child's potty training experience! Each family has to evaluate their child and their life season and pray through when to begin this life-changing process for their child! 

What are your tips for identifying potty training readiness?


I'm so excited about the other upcoming posts in this series, including:
  • Tossing Aside the Diapers/Pull-ups
  • Potty Training a Child with Food Allergies
  • The 3-Day Potty Training Method
  • Potty Training a Strong-Willed Child
  • Top 10 Potty Training Must-Haves
  • Grace for Potty Training
  • A Cloth Training Pants giveaway from Sew Crafty Baby 
  • and more! 
Subscribe below via e-mail and don't miss a post! 

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Check out the other mini series in "The First Years":



Have a bedwetter on your hands? Try our sponsor Trilight Health's herbal incontinence/bedwetting formula! Free shipping over $25!

Labels: ,