This Page

has been moved to new address

Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole & The Everything Beans Book Review (& Discount Code!)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole & The Everything Beans Book Review (& Discount Code!)

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole & The Everything Beans Book Review (& Discount Code!)


I'm so excited to be able to share with you a review, recipe AND discount code for one of my favorite ebooks--The Everything Beans book!

I didn't really grow up eating beans, but when I discovered them sometime in my 20's, they quickly became one of my favorite foods! They are cheap, filling and full of good protein. 

But you know I'm the humbled homemaker, right? That means I'm a humbled--not a gourmet!--cook. Really, I'm learning as I blog. 

So, up until a few months back, I really didn't know how else to use beans except as a side dish. 

The Everything Beans book has definitely made eating beans so much more fun!

In this 95-page ebook, Katie of Kitchen Stewardship includes tips for preparing and storing beans, as well as 30 bean recipes!

Recipes range from sandwiches like chickpea wraps to soups like turkey vegetable chili to sides like chicken rice-a-roni substitute to pasta with white (bean) sauce to main dishes like Mexican stuffed peppers to the grain-free fudgy black bean brownies (my GF daughter's favorite!) for dessert!

With winter coming and no end in site for this tough economy, The Everything Beans book was a great investment for my family.

The book normally sells for $9.95, but right now you can use discount code FALL4BEANS to get $3 off!!



Want to try a recipe out yourself? 


Photo courtesy Kitchen Stewardship


Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole



Ingredients
3/4 c. dry green lentils
1/2 c. brown rice
1 c. water
2 1/2 c. chicken stock
1 c. tomato sauce (8 oz. can) or 1 6-oz. can tomato paste + and extra 1/2 c. stock
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped green or red pepper
1 grated or finely chopped carrot
2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
optional: other vegetables like spinach, broccoli
3 tsp. Italian seasoning or taco seasoning
2 cloves crushed garlic or 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1 c. grated cheese ( I prefer sharp cheddar, but try a Mexican blend with the
taco seasoning or mozzarella with the Italian)
optional: salsa or spaghetti sauce to serve

Method
Combine rice, lentils and water in crock pot. Soak overnight. (Do NOT turn crock pot on!) In the morning, drain the water and mix in all remaining ingredients except cheese. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Add cheese in 30 minutes before done. 
Serves 4-6. 

Do you have any favorite bean dishes to share?


Get The Everything Beans Book here!


New Series Announcement!


I'm THRILLED to be participating in Five Flu-Fighting Foods--a 5-week series with some amazing bloggers around the web! 


Come back tomorrow to read the first post, get a recipe for a yummy probiotic pumpkin dip and, if you have a blog yourself, link up your favorite pumpkin recipes as well!




Did you hear about the great sale over at Keeper of the Home for the remainder of the Plan It, Don't Panic challenge? Stephanie's selling her Real Food on a Real Budget AND Healthy Homemaking ebooks for 50% off! I own and LOVE these books! Use code MEALPLAN50! Get the books here. (This is my affiliate link.)


Do you enjoy reading The Humbled Homemaker?  Subscribe to receive posts:





Growing Home

Labels: ,