This Page

has been moved to new address

Crockpot Seafood Paella and Plan It, Don't Panic, Week 3!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Humbled Homemaker: Crockpot Seafood Paella and Plan It, Don't Panic, Week 3!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Crockpot Seafood Paella and Plan It, Don't Panic, Week 3!


I can't believe we're already in week 3 of Plan It, Don't Panic!

I'm having so much fun gathering new recipes, and I've even created a "To Try in October" board on Pinterest just for this challenge!

I'm also working on being better at watching exactly where our food budget goes. For that reason, I spent several hours at several different stores this past weekend price checking. 


I purchased 3 whole chickens yesterday, and I'm excited about cooking them in the crockpot for the first time this week! I am really hoping to get several meals out of each chicken!

Something else I'm working on is only have one meal per week that is cheese heavy. It seems my baby's cheeks break out when I eat too much dairy, and I am extra sensitive to this after finding out about my 3-year-old's major food sensitivities.


Without further ado, check out the recipe for Wednesday's dinner--Crockpot Seafood Paella--and scroll down for this week's meal plan!


Image by kkma


Crockpot Seafood Paella*


Ingredients:


  • 3/4 c. chopped sweet peppers
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 c. uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
  • 12 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled and halved
  • 6 oz. canned or pouched wild-caught pink salmon, flaked
  • 1 c. frozen peas
Grease crock pot and add all veggies except peas. In a medium sauce pan, combine chicken broth, rice and spices. Heat until boiling, then pour over veggies in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. After about 3 hours, add the shrimp, salmon and peas. Once done, let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6. 
* I modified this recipe from a recipe I found in the January 2010 issue of Parents magazine.

Meal Plan for 10/3-10/9

Monday:
Breakfast-fresh fruit
Lunch-black beans and rice
Dinner-rotisserie-style chicken in the crock pot, brown rice and green beans
Prep: bake breakfast bars, soak beans, make rotel, chop peppers, shred and freeze remaining chicken, make stock  

Tuesday:
Breakfast-egg/dairy/GF breakfast bars
Lunch-leftovers
Dinner-
Southwest Chicken Chili Mac w/ homemade rotel (leave out Ranch & use GF noodles)
Prep: thaw shrimp, chop veggies

Wednesday:
Breakfast-
egg/dairy/GF breakfast bars
Lunch-leftovers
Dinner-Seafood Paella in the crock pot (recipe above)

Thursday:
Breakfast-Bob's Red Mill GF pancakes w/ blueberries
Lunch-leftovers
Dinner-At my best friend/college roommate's house!
Prep: pack snacks for trip!

Friday:
With Friends--Woo Hoo! A break from the kitchen!

Saturday: 

With Friends--Yay for fall breaks!


Sunday:
With friends
 

What's on your menu this week? 


Today is the LAST DAY to get Modern Alternative Mama's Treat Yourself: Real Food Desserts for 25% off!! Order the book here with code HUMBLETREAT.

Have you entered the 3 great giveaways going on right now? Check them out:


Did you hear about the great sale over at Keeper of the Home for the remainder of the Plan It, Don't Panic challenge? Stephanie's selling her Real Food on a Real Budget ebook for 50% off! I own and LOVE this book! Use code MEALPLAN50! Get the book here. (This is my affiliate link.)


Do you enjoy reading The Humbled Homemaker?  Subscribe to receive posts:

Labels: ,